Swami Damodaranand Bharati
THIS IS AN ONGOING RESEARCH ARTICLE WHICH IS UPDATED REGULARLY
From The Flower Raj Encyclopaedia
Swami Damodaranand Bharati (aka Swamiji, born as Cheppaikode Madan Damodaran Nambishan, at Cheppaikode House, Nareekamvalli, Kerala, India - c1923 - died India c1990s).
- Cheppaikode Madan Damodaran Nambishan was born into a traditional Kerala Brahmin family in their old house in Nareekamvalli Village, North Kerala. The caste of Nambishans are traditionally Vaidyas (Ayurvedic Practitioners) and/or Jyothishas (Astrologers). Swamiji used to claim they were of similar status to the better-known and very high-caste Nambudiri Brahmins, who also hail from Kerala.
Family / Children
- Married (c1950s) Bhavani, a Brahmin lady from Coorg District, Karnataka - no children.
- Common-law wife (1970s) Kalyani (R Sutter), from USA - two sons.
- Swamiji in Ramnager 1968 The Flower Raj Photos - few photographs exist of him prior to the 1970s & the ones of the 1970s require scanning before they can be shown.
- Nareekamvalli village, near Payangadi, the Nambishan houses, temple & tank complex where Swamiji was born.
nico morrison wrote:
- At present (April 2012) I do not know when or where Swamiji died or how he lived for the last years of his life. I also do not know what has become of Swamiji's family or the lovely Nambishan houses in Nareekamvalli. Also Bhavani's family in Coorg.
- I plan to visit Kerala (Nareekamvalli & the Records Office in Cannanore the District Headquarters) this winter; I will also revisit Srirangapatnam where Swamiji had an ashram on the banks of the Cauvery River in Ganjam Village; I will also try to locate Bhavani's family in Coorg, starting with the Public & School Records Offices in Madhikeri, the District Headquarters). I hope to do this during December 2012 & January 2013.
- There is also the question of his (American) children, a son he knew briefly & another child he never met. They may not have been told who their father is. This will be more difficult to research.
- Nambishan Caste Wikipedia.
- Nambudiri Brahmin Caste Wikipedia.
- Narayana Guru Wikipedia. The Guru of Nataraja Guru.
- Nataraja Guru Wikipedia. The Guru of Swamiji (Damodaranand).
This article is a stub and needs expansion.